English Pea and Morel Mushroom Risotto
Shelled English Peas
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1½ cups Morel Mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
1 cup Arborio Rice
1/2 Medium Onion, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/4 cup White Wine
3 cups Light Chicken Stock
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/4 cup Whipped Cream, medium peaks
1 Tablespoon Parsley, finely chopped
Salt and White Pepper
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the peas until crisp tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and shock the peas in ice water. Once cooled, drain the peas once more. Refrigerate until needed.
2. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cleaned morel mushrooms and season well with salt and pepper. Cook the mushrooms, stirring often, until they are tender and soft, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. In a heavy bottomed pot, sweat the onion with the butter. Cook until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the rice and cook over a medium flame for about one minute. Add the white wine and stir until the wine is absorbed, about 30 seconds.
5. Add the first addition of simmering stock, about one half cup. Stir over a medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add another addition of stock and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed.
6. Repeat the addition and stir procedure until the rice is cooked the way you like it. You may or may not use all of the liquid. The risotto should be creamy and a bit loose, but the rice should still have some chew to it...
7. Fold in the cooked peas and mushrooms. Add the chopped parsley, and the grated cheese to taste. Fold in the whipped cream last. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.